Beacon Hill is a 19th-century downtown Boston residential neighborhood situated directly north of the Boston Common and the Boston Public Garden. Its architecture, mostly brick row houses, includes the Federal, Greek Revival and Victorian periods, as well as early 20th-century colonial revival homes and tenements. It is known for its beautiful doors and door surrounds, brass door knockers, decorative iron work, brick sidewalks, perpetually-burning gas lights, flowering pear trees, window boxes, and hidden gardens.
Beacon Hill contains a South Slope, a North Slope and a Flat of the Hill. Charles Street is the neighborhood’s main street and is filled with antique shops and neighborhood services. DeLuca’s has been at the same location for over 100 years. Born in Italy, Uncle Joe DeLuca (1900-1997) started working in the store which would later bear his name, in 1919. The store soon became known as “the place” in Boston for the finest in fresh fruit and produce.
During prohibition and during the war it provided the essential needs of Beacon Hill residents as it still does to this day serving the everyday customer to historic notables such as North Pole Explorer Admiral Richard E. Byrd, President John F. Kennedy, and historian Samuel Elliot Morison all of whom lived near DeLuca’s.
The most prominent building on Beacon Hill is the new State House. It was built in 1795 by Charles Bulfinch. The dome is covered with 23 1/2 carat gold leaf.